Departmental Forms & Applications


Important Information for Businesses: Starting in 2018, our Department will be updating the paperwork that all entities are required to file annually in order to legally operate in Maryland. "Form 1" will be separated into an "Annual Report" and a "Personal Property Tax Return." If you own a business, read this press release about important changes that will impact your annual filings, and visit Maryland Business Express​ to make sure your entity is in good standing. Also, be sure to sign up here​ to receive timely email reminders to file these important documents.


 Note: Due to the fact that the laws governing the formation and operation of business entities and the effectiveness of a UCC Financing Statement involve more than filing documents with our office, we suggest you consult an attorney, accountant, or other professional. Our staff cannot act as consultants.

Mail completed forms to:
State Department of Assessments and Taxati​on, Charter Division, 301 W. Preston Street; 8th Fl, Baltimore, MD 21201-2395.  Most of the filing fees for these documents are included in the instructions. You may also view the filing fee schedule online.

Register a Maryland business through the Maryland Business Express

Fraudulent Filing Recording

Create or Start a Business in Maryland

Maryland Business Express is SDAT's award-winning online platform for registering and establishing businesses, making annual filings, and requesting document copies. Click here to see if the legal entity for your business can be created online.

Note: All entities are required to make annual filings in order to legally operate in Maryland (see below). Sign up here​ to receive timely email reminders to file these important documents.

Make Changes to an Existing Business

End Cancel or Revive a Business

Foreign (non-Maryland) Businesses

When a non-Maryland corporation, LLC, LLP, LP, etc. makes a initial filing with SDAT that creates or reactivates an account, that filing must be accompanied by written proof of existence from the home state, generally the equivalent of a Certificate of Status.


Note: All entities are required to make annual filings in order to legally operate in Maryland (see below), including foreign (non-Maryland) businesses. Sign up here​ to receive timely email reminders to file these important documents.



Note: Under Maryland Criminal Law, a person who files in public records of the Department of Assessments and Taxations a lien or encumbrance against the personal property of another that is based on a false, fictitious or fraudulent statement is guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to imprisonment not exceeding one year or a fine not exceeding $10,000 or both for the first offense.

For more information, visit the UCC Financing Statement page​.



Note: The Department has streamlined the annual business filing process in Maryland by updating the paperwork all entities are required to file with the state. 2018 filings can now be made online through Maryland Business Express, and the extension request system is also now available. SDAT strongly recommends that all business owners sign up for timely email reminders​ to file these important documents and to receive general news updates.

All business entities formed, qualified, or registered to do business in Maryland MUST file an Annual Report and, if they answer ‘Yes’ to either of the following questions, MUST ALSO file a Personal Property Tax Return.

  • Does the business own, lease, or use personal property located in Maryland?
  • Does the business maintain a trader’s license with a local unit of government in Maryland?

The simplest and easiest method to file both the Annual Report and Personal Property Tax Return is through Maryland Business Express (MBE), SDAT’s award-winning platform for creating a business, making annual filings, and requesting document copies online.

As you answer the prompts in filing their Annual Report electronically, MBE will automatically identify whether a Personal Property Tax Return is required. Otherwise, business owners may continue to submit their Annual Report and Personal Property Tax Returns by mail, or file in person at our West Preston Street office in Baltimore City.

Given there are multiple ways for a business to submit its annual filing, there are multiple versions of the Form 1 (found below.) We would encourage all businesses to first consider filing through Maryland Business Express (MBE). However, if you choose not to, we would encourage businesses to review the "2018 Form 1 - Instructions" document (found below.) Based upon the guidance contained therein, a business will be able to identify which version of the Form 1 will best meet their needs.

Sole Proprietorships and General Partnerships must file a Form 2 Personal Property Tax Return (no fees apply)  

Credit Unions must file a Form 3 Annual Report. 

Financial Institutions, Banks, Savings Banks, Savings & Loans, and Trust Companies must file a Form 5 Annual Report.  

Rental Property (Condominiums, Townhouses, Cottages, Room Rentals, etc.) in Ocean City/Worcester County (Unincorporated) must file a Form 7 Personal Property Tax Return (no fees apply). 

To file the Annual Report and/or Personal Property Tax Return for previous years, please download the forms below;

  • Any Year Form 1 - Annual Report and Personal Property Tax Return
  • Any Year Form 2 – Sole Proprietorships & General Partnerships
  • Any Year Form 3 – Credit Unions 
  • Any Year Form 5 - Banks, Savings & Loans & Other Financial Institutions
  • Any Year Form 7 - Condominiums, Townhouses, Cottages and Room Rentals

  • PLEASE NOTE: Download these forms to your computer and open them using Adobe Reader, available here. You cannot use the extra features on these forms unless you do, and they may not print correctly if you don’t!



    Mail completed forms to:
    State Department of Assessments and Taxation, Ground Rent, 301 W. Preston Street; 8th FL, Baltimore, MD 21201-2395. For more information visit the Ground Rent program page


    For Homestead program questions e-mail:
    Homeowners & Renters questions e-mail:

    Mail completed forms to:
    State Department of Assessments and Taxation, 301 W. Preston Street; 9th FL, Baltimore, MD 21201-2395. Please note on the envelope to which program the application is being mailed



    For further information, or to receive a particular form or questionnaire, contact your local Department of Assessments and Taxation office. Completed forms must be returned to the appropriate local assessment office. A list of offices with contact information can be found at

    Miscellaneous Forms

    Petition for Review/ New Owner Appeal of Property      Residential Worksheet Request Form
    Designated Property Representative Form          Agricultural Declaration of Intent
    Membership in a Cooperative Corporation Agricultural Use Assessment
    Property Owner Change of Address Form Marital Separation Affidavit

    MD Land Instrument Intake Sheet (Link to Maryland Judiciary Court Forms Index Page)

    Exemptions Applications

    Commercial Property Income Questionnaires

    Apartment Building Hotel/Motel
    Assisted Living Facility Marina
    Campground Mobile Home Park
    Cemetery Nursing Home
    Commercial/ Industrial            Section 42 Tax Credit Property
    Garage and Parking Lot  Subsidized Housing
    Golf Course Tenant List & Rent Schedule