Skip to Main Content

Tax Credit Programs & Exemptions Information

The applications on this page are in PDF and require the Adobe Reader to open and print.  You can download a free copy of the Adobe Reader directly from the Abode website.

Homeowners' and Renters' Tax Credits

The Homeowners' and Renters' Tax Credit programs are designed to help low-income homeowners and renters by limiting the amount that they must pay in property taxes. To receive the tax credit, an application and all supporting documents must be sent to SDAT normally no later than September 1st of each year.

Homeowners Tax Credit Program
Homeowners Tax Credit Application

Local tax credit programs that supplement the State Homeowners' Tax Credit

  • Anne Arundel County
  • Baltimore County
  • Calvert County
  • Caroline County
  • Carroll County
  • Charles County
  • Frederick County
  • Garrett County
  • Harford County
  • Howard County
  • Kent County
  • Montgomery County
    • City of Gaithersburg
    • City of Rockville
  • Prince George's County
    • City of Bowie
    • City of College Park
    • City of Greenbelt
    • City of Hyattsville
  • Washington County

Renters Tax Credit Program
Renters Tax Credit Application

You may also request an application by mail, telephone the Taxcredit unit at 410-767-4433. If you live in Maryland but outside the Baltimore area, call (800) 944-7403.
Or email your request to Please include a postal mailing address when requesting an application. Applications can not be e-mailed.

Once the application has been completed and signed, mail to:
State Department of Assessments & Taxation
Tax Credit Program
301 W. Preston Street, Room 900
Baltimore, Md. 21201-2395

For faster processing of your application please specify Homeowners or Renters on the outside envelope.

Real Property Exemption Applications

For further information, or to receive a particular tax exemption application, contact your local Department of Assessments and Taxation office. Completed applications must be mailed to your local assessment office.

Agricultural Use Assessment
Blind Persons
Charitable Property
Fraternal, Benevolent, or Educational Property
Governmentally Owned Property
Surviving Spouses of Disabled Veterans
Surviving Spouse of a Military Casualty