Charter Business Services
News and AnnouncementsRegister a Maryland business through the Central Business Licensing and Registration portal. Filings for the following business types are accepted at this time: Sole Proprietorship, General Partnership, Limited Liability Company, Stock Corporation, Tax-Exempt Nonstock Corporation, Close Corporation and Trade Names.
Verify certified copies of documents issued by the Department through the Central Business Licensing portal.
In-person counter assistance at 301 W. Preston St. 8th Floor is available Monday - Friday, 8:30AM - 4:30PM.
You must be in line no later than 4:15 PM in order to receive service that same day.
Helpful Resources For New & Existing Businesses
- Checklist for New Businesses - Information on business licenses and other requirements.
- What it means when a business is Not in Good Standing or Forfeited
- Questions and Answers Forfeitures
- List of Fees for Charter Services and Document Filings
- Frequently Asked Charter Questions
- Questions and Answers for Non-Maryland (Foreign) Businesses
- DBED Start a Business in Maryland Guide
- Department of Labor Licensing and Regulation.
- Minority Business Enterprise
- Comptroller of Maryland business tax payer services
- MD Small Business Development Center - Business entity descriptions, training workshops and other valuable resources.
- US Small Business Administration - Federal information regarding loans, online courses, planning and financing a new business.
Sources Outside of SDAT
Important Filing Information
- Document Return Fee: All filers
of business entity charter documents must indicate at the
time of filing if they are “opting out”
of having their original filed documents returned to them. If a
filer wishes to have the original documents returned, then
he or she must pay an additional $5.00 filing fee with the
payment of the other fees for the processing of the documents.
If the $5.00 fee is not paid, the Department will assume
the filer did not want the original documents returned. Images of all documents are available at no charge for viewing
and printing within 7 business days of their processing
the Business database.
Corporate Charter Documents: Please
note that under *Maryland law a filer has sixty
(60) days from the date of our initial rejection of a filing to correct any rejected document and resubmit
it or all filing fees are retained by the Department for reviewing the first filing. If a document is resubmitted
after the sixtieth day, another separate filing fee must
be paid with the second submission. If a filer chooses not
to resubmit the document for filing, a demand for a refund
must be made in writing within sixty (60) days of the date
of the initial rejection of the document.