Charter Business Services
News and AnnouncementsRegister a Maryland business through the Central Business Licensing and Registration portal. Filing types currently accepted: Sole Proprietorship, General Partnership, Maryland Limited Liability Company, Foreign (Non-Maryland) Limited Liability Company, Stock Corporation, Tax-Exempt Nonstock Corporation, Close Corporation, Foreign (Non-Maryland) Corporation.
Verify certified copies of documents issued by the Department through the Central Business Licensing portal.
In-person counter assistance at 301 W. Preston St. 8th Floor is available Monday - Friday, 8:30AM - 4:30PM.
You must be in line no later than 4:15 PM in order to receive service that same day.
Helpful Resources For New & Existing Businesses
- Checklist for New Businesses - Information on business licenses and other requirements.
- What it means when a business is Not in Good Standing or Forfeited
- Questions and Answers Forfeitures
- List of Fees for Charter Services and Document Filings
- Frequently Asked Charter Questions
- Questions and Answers for Non-Maryland (Foreign) Businesses
- DBED Start a Business in Maryland Guide
- Department of Labor Licensing and Regulation
- Minority Business Enterprise
- Comptroller of Maryland business tax payer services
- MD Small Business Development Center - Business entity descriptions, training workshops and other valuable resources
- US Small Business Administration - Federal information regarding loans, online courses, planning and financing a new business
Sources Outside of SDAT
Important Filing Information
- Document Return Fee: All filers
of business entity charter documents must indicate at the
time of filing if they are “opting out”
of having their original filed documents returned to them. If a
filer wishes to have the original documents returned, then
he or she must pay an additional $5.00 filing fee with the
payment of the other fees for the processing of the documents.
If the $5.00 fee is not paid, the Department will assume
the filer did not want the original documents returned.
Corporate Charter Documents: Please
note that under *Maryland law a filer has sixty
(60) days from the date of our initial rejection of a filing to correct any rejected document and resubmit
it or all filing fees are retained by the Department for reviewing the first filing. If a document is resubmitted
after the sixtieth day, another separate filing fee must
be paid with the second submission. If a filer chooses not
to resubmit the document for filing, a demand for a refund
must be made in writing within sixty (60) days of the date
of the initial rejection of the document.