Internet Certificate of Status
When one is obtaining a license, a license renewal or a loan settlement, the person is often required to obtain a “Certificate of Status” (generally called a “good standing” certificate) from the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation. On the specific date and time the Department issues a certificate verifying that a business entity is in “good standing,” it means that all documents and fees required by law to be submitted to the Department have been received, and that no other government agency has notified the Department that the entity is delinquent in tax payments.
Easy Steps to Obtain an Internet Certificate of Status
1. You can obtain a certificate for a business entity by going to the SDAT website at http://www.dat.state.md.us and select the CERTIFICATE OF STATUS link. There is a $40 statutory fee for the Internet certificate and the system only accepts MasterCard and Visa credit cards.
2. The system works best with Internet Explorer, Chrome or Firefox. Some Internet browsers do not allow enough time for an Internet certificate to display and will cause a transaction failure or website-not-responding error message.
2a. The Certificate of Status opens in a separate window, it is recommended that you disable your browser's pop-up blocker before proceeding. After disabling the pop-up blocker it may be necessary to refresh/reload your browser.
3. You ENTER the SDAT DEPARTMENT ID NUMBER (for example: D00000000). If you do not know the Department ID number, you can search the Business Services Database to obtain it. Choose the A “FIND A DEPARTMENT ID” link on the left side of the page this will take you to the Business data search system.
4. After entering the Department ID number a STATUS page will open and it will tell you whether or not the business is in good standing. You may choose to purchase an INTERNET CERTIFICATE or a MAILED CERTIFICATE.
5. If you choose an INTERNET CERTIFICATE you can obtain only one certificate for one entity at a time. However, you can print as many copies as you want of the same certificate at no extra cost once it displays on your screen. These Certificates are in PDF format which requires that the Adobe Reader for pdf is installed on your PC. Every Internet Certificate has a unique identification number at the bottom right hand corner which can be used by anyone to verify the authenticity of the document by going ’s website.
5a. Authenticity of Certificates requested on-line can be verified at www.dat.state.md.us, click on Certificate of Status and navigate to "Verify Certificate" located on the left side of the page under "Links". Enter the seven (7) digit number printed at the bottom right hand corner of the Certificate to verify its authenticity.
6. If you request a MAILED CERTIFICATE, it will be mailed to the address you provide on the next business day. The cost of a mailed certificate is $40.00 and $1.00 for each additional copy of the certificate you order for the same entity. You can order up to 10 copies of the same certificate at $1.00 per copy.
7. Possible online transaction errors:
your certificate does not print contact the Webmaster at 410-767-4288. We
can sometimes retreive a copy of the certificate
and either send it to you via e-mail attachment
or postal mail.
- If you attempted to get an Internet Certificate of Status and your transaction failed, you may fax a request for a credit to your credit card. Use the form available online.
- Certificates are not available for entities that do not have a Resident Agent, have not filed all Personal Property returns or have unpaid penalties.
- Entities that are not in good standing with SDAT can get a certificate showing that status. The same $40 fee applies.
- Certificates are not available for trade names, name reservations, sole proprietorships, government entities and special entities such as public utilities.
Other ways of getting a Certificate of Status:
1. You may fax your request for a certificate to 410-333-7097, include credit card information in your fax. The cost for fax service is $40.00 for the first certificate and $1.00 for each copy of the same certificate. SDAT accepts MasterCard and Visa credit cards only.
2. Corporate Charter Division in-person counter assistance at 301 W. Preston St. 8th Floor is available Monday - Friday, 8:30AM - 4:30PM. Walk-in service is considered expedited and cost $40 for the first certificate and $1.00 for each copy of the same certificate.
3. You may also send a letter requesting a certificate, the cost is $20. Please enclose a check or money order made out to the State Department of Assessments
SDAT - Corporate Charter Division
301 W. Preston St. 8th FL
Baltimore, MD 21201
If you have further questions about Certificates of Status or Certificates of Existance call 410-767-1344, Toll free in MD 888-246-5941.